Taylor-Winfield Technologies, Inc. is proud to introduce the TwinLap Seam Welder – the newest member of its extensive line of seam welders. This patented process is designed for steel producers that process “automotive grade” and other difficult to join materials.
The TwinLap welds low carbon equivalent steels such as DDQ, EQ,IF, SEDDQ and outperforms other welding processes for full-hard and Advanced/Ultra High Strength Steels (AHSS, UHSS) like Dual Phase, HSLA, Silicon, Stainless, TRIP and other complex phase and martensitic steels.
The TwinLap welds and anneals (tempers) the weld in a single pass. Welding cycle times are reduced, weld over-thickness is minimal and weld quality is higher than with conventional seam welding processes.
Welds are less than 10% of parent metal thickness
Forgiving welding process compared to Laser and other joining processes.
- Near zero weld overthickness
- Skilled Trade personnel do not need extensive training to operate and maintain the welder.
- No need to release tension in your mill to pass the weld – creates a “Rollable Weld”.
- Less concern about weld breaking when moving across strip support and tension rolls.
- In many applications, the weld does not have to be removed before subsequent processing coating, annealing, or galvanizing the strip.
- No damage to seals, rolls or bearings when passing the weld through the line.
- Less waste and scrap.
- Lower initial investment, operating and maintenance costs than TIG, MIG or Laser welding systems.
- Fast cycle time – typically less than 60 seconds for the maximum width and thickness.
- Rugged “O” frame configuration.
- Durable “Oil Bath” welding heads with quick-change weld wheel feature.
- High precision pneumatic or hydraulic dual resquaring shear with four sided cutting blades.
- Pneumatic or hydraulic entry and exit clamps with quick change clamp liners.
- Urethane clamp inserts to prevent strip slippage and separation.
- Precision linear motion control of welding carriage.
- Automatic scrap removal.
- AC, DC and MFDC weld current available.
- Automatic weld parameter set-up with “Upper Level” computer communication.
- Low-voltage or edge sensor weld initiation to prevent strip edge and weld wheel damage.
- Constant current weld control for consistently high weld quality.
- Various PLC’s available – GE Fanuc, Siemens, Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley).
- “Upper Level” computer communication via Profibus, Ethernet, or TCP/IP protocol.
- Matrix or algorithmic weld parameter adjustment control.
- Close-coupled transformer, secondary bus bar and welding electrodes – highest weld current density for any seam welder and lower energy usage!
- Automatic centering guides
- Automatic strip cross alignment
- Closed loop water chillers
- Notchers for trimming strip edges
- Weld quality “bulge” tester
- Weld temperature monitoring
- Weld wheel dresser